If your reading The Ahimsa Life, odds are you are either thinking of adding healthy changes to your lifestyle, or you are actively living a healthy, happy life. But don’t forget about your furry friends!
Any one who knows me, knows how much I love my Little Jack Russel, Olive. I am pretty sure she is the best dog in the world, and I would do just about any thing to make sure she is healthy, happy and safe. Olive makes sure I get up, get my 10,000 steps per day, and stay active. I want to make sure I keep her healthy too so we can be healthy together for a long time to come.
- I make sure Olive gets enough activity. For a 1 year old JRT that’s A LOT of walks, and tossing the ball around the yard. Different breeds and sizes require different activity levels, check with your Vet on how much your dog needs. For Olive her twice daily walks are the highlight of her day. She loves meeting new dogs, and saying hi to all our neighbors. Which brings me to my next point.
- Mental activity. More then just walks around the neighborhood or time in the yard, make sure your dog is keeping his/her mind sharp. Problem solving toys, learning new tricks, training, and visiting new places all keep your dog curious.
- Healthy Foods. Do you know whats in your dogs food? You need to read the label for them just like you do for your self. Make sure they are getting the best meals, and treats. Try and make your own, Olive loves these pumpkin treats, they are quick and easy to make and save well.
- Healthy Skin and fur – Olive is active, very active. One of her favorite things to do is dig up my garden. She loves mud and dirt. She loves to bury those treats I just hand made for her. She gets a bath pretty much every week, so, I consider myself an expert on dog shampoos. My favorite is Burt’s Bee’s Oatmeal Shampoo. Olive is pretty scruffy, so I always use a conditioner as well. Its natural, organic, and makes her fur soft and smell great.
- After a bath its time for a brushing! I love this RollinPets Slicker Dog Grooming Brush. It gets through all of Olive’s thick fur, cuts through any knots in a snap, and helps tremendously with the shedding!
- Regular check ups. Olive never misses a appointment with her doctor. She loves getting in the car and visiting every one so that helps a ton. We go at least twice a year (Vets recommend at least once) just to check in and make sure shes as great as I think she is!
- Keep those chompers clean! Dental health is so important for your dog. Get regular cleanings, and make sure they have safe things to chew on.
What do you do to make sure you and your dog stay healthy?