As promised, here is an update on my experience owning a Peloton Bike.
I have had the bike now for about a month, and I am still in love with it as ever! It has been amazing having it here in my house being able to join a live class or stream from the library when ever I want to. The only hiccup I had was the shoes, I ordered a pair from Peloton using their size recommendations, and they were way too small, the pair ended up fitting my daughter, so she kept them and I ordered another pair off amazon following their sizing chart, they arrived, too small again! I was so frustrated. In the end, I headed to a local bike shop to get a pair i could try on, but in the process I bought 3 pairs of shoes!
Now that I am all set with my gear, I tend to ride pretty much every day. What is great about the streaming classes is even if I don’t have a lot of time there is usually a class I can fit in, from 15 minute beginner classes, up to 45 minutes theme rides they have it.
My husband likes the metric rides the best, he feels like the hills and weights give him the best work outs, I like the music themed classes. The Justin Timberlake vs NSync ride with Cody is my favorite so far! He’s amazing and motivating and the music keeps me into it. I did make some adjustments to our home gym area. It helped me to install some room darkening curtains, that way I did not get any glare and it felt more like a ride at one of the studios. It made a big difference for me as far as really focusing on the class.
If you remember from my original post, I love me some SoulCycle, I was a little worried that Peloton would not live up to my experiences in a SoulCycle studio, but it has! I just love being able to get a spin class of this quality in my home! Totally recommend getting your own bike.
If you read my post on Fitness Trackers you know I love my Fitbit. Wearing a fitness tracker really lets you know how much you are NOT moving! I was pretty surprised to find some long periods of complete inactivity. Since then, I have really made an effort to increase how much I move every day. Its amazing how many calories you can burn during the day with out hitting a gym. Here are some simple ways to break up those sustained sitting periods at work and home:
- Take phone calls standing up. If the phone rings, stand up! You will automatically find your self walking around.
- Rather than email office colleagues, walk to their desks to communicate with them. On that note, don’t yell for your kids, walk to their rooms, or where ever they are to talk to them.
- Create a standing workstation. My husband just changed over his work and home offices to this standing desk, it lowers so he can sit at it too, if needed, but its really amazing how many steps he has added not changing any thing about his routine.
- Wear a pedometer or fitness tracker to encourage taking steps. I check on mine through out the day, reach for at least 10,000 steps.
- Set a timer on your home computer or phone to alert you to get up every thirty to forty minutes and break up sitting with short bursts of activity, like running to the mailbox.
- Have a dog? Try and increase you walks by 10 minutes, or take time to toss a ball in the yard, your puppy will love you for it!
Bonus tip – At home, stop multi tasking! Are you setting things on the stairs to bring up the next time you head that way? Stop, bring it up right then and there. I have found I doubled the amount of flights I climb each day just by doing that.
How do you add more activity in your day?
Music makes every thing better! Weather you are getting ready for a night out, cleaning your house, or jogging around the block a great soundtrack can get you motivated. Here are some of my faves, sure to get you moving!
“Let’s go Crazy” Prince
“Sugar” Maroon 5
“One More Time” Daft Punk
“Rebel Yell” Billy Idol
“American Boy” Estelle Ft. Kanye West
“Sweet Child Of Mine” Guns and Roses
“Baby I’m a Star” Prince
“Let’s Stay Together” Al Green
“4 minutes” Madonna
“Love on Top” Beyonce
“Brick House” Commodores
“Sexy Back” Justin Timberlake
“Super Freak” Rick James
“Locked out of Heaven” Bruno Mars
Under Pressure Queen and David Bowie
“Naught Girl” Beyonce
And any thing on The Pitch Perfect sound track, especially “Please don’t stop the Music” by the Treblemakers.
I think I could keep this list going forever! What are your favorites to listen to to get your work out going?